1. On April 11th, 2015 the Pasco County Schools held their first community health fair at Sunlake High School with the theme of We’re All About That B.A.S.S. (Building A Stronger Student).
2. Students and families participated in a 5K run and 1 mile fun run, checked-out many vendor booths around the track, and gave their opinions in a Pasco Taste Plate of new food concepts for school food service.
3. Vendors at the fair included 23 booths for: PLACE, Summer Feeding, LA Fitness Center, Soccer Shots, Girl Scouts, Suncoast Investments, YouFit Health Club, U.S. Army, Stay Well, Medi Weightloss, United Way of Pasco, Nutrition Smart, Certified Chef, School Gardens, LMES School Garden, Growums, Food & Nutrition Services, Florida hospital, Youth & Family Alternatives, Rasmussen College, Pasco County Library, Energia Wellness Studio, Premier Healthcare Group, and Family Fitness Center.
4. Foods tested for taste preference included cinnamon and strawberry mini bagels, chocolate chip grahams, carrot bars, chicken pitas, Cuban sandwiches, French toast sticks, dill chicken bites, burritos, cheese quesadillas, cantaloupe smoothies, corn and potato salad, spinach arugula pesto, blueberry and yogurt breakfast cups, and cucumber & carrot salads.
5. Donated door prizes and goodie bags presented to students and families included, but were not limited to, items such as: Bread for a Year Certificate to Panera Bread, 5 free classes to Pure Barre, coloring books and paper fans from the Florida Strawberry Growers Association, a Fitbit, bikes, 10 free classes to Trinity Yoga Studio, 3 – $15.00 gift cards & 5 – 1 Free Appetizer cards to Beef O’Brady’s in Sunlake, $150 gift card to Publix, and more!
6. Kids and families enjoyed additional activities of dodgeball, face painting, a bounce house slide, a bungee run, and healthcare screenings.
7. Each participant in the 5K received a goodie bag with a BioFreeze Sample, a McDonald Coupon for free Apple Slices or Parfaits, a FL Hospital water bottle, FL Hospital Band-Aids, FL Hospital chap stick, Dairy Council shoelaces and wristband, GoGo Squeeze pouch, sunscreen, and a 1 day pass to the YMCA.
Guest Blogger: Sarah Williams BS, Dietetic Intern at James A. Haley VA Hospital Tampa, FL.